Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Spring Break... Off to the Philippines!

Fair warning, this will be a long post. We did so much these past four days.

To start off, we left Taipei at around 2 AM on Tuesday night/Wednesday morning after a slight aircraft delay. We arrived in Manila at around 4 AM local time, were able to go through customs and immigration with very few issues, and then waited at the terminal to be picked up by my relatives. After chilling at the airport for about a half hour, I saw my Tita and Ate Loren and after a few introductions, we headed off to our van. After stopping off at the Pancake House along the expressway, where we had a delicious breakfast of pancakes and waffles, we proceeded to travel to Zambales, where a beautiful beach awaited us. After our first of many delicious Filipino meals, we decided to go out for a swim. While my cousins thought we were crazy for going out into the sun when it was at it's hottest, but we went swimming anyway and boy, was it refreshing. So worth burning the bottom of our feet on the scalding hot sand.
  
My wonderful Lola Sebring. Still as strong and smart as ever :]
 Some pretty awesome sights on the way to the beach.

 Yummy Filipino food; because it was Holy Week, we had quite a bit of fish, but since it was only Wednesday, we had chicken and grilled pork, too. Plus, some delicious Filipino mangoes :]
 We are a pretty fun, group :]

 The sunsets were do die for!
 Snails... funnily enough, they didn't taste as bad as I thought. And on another note, the French guy that was on the trip with me said that he never had snails before that night. #frenchstereotypes
 Yeah, we're pretty cool.
 Lechon (roast pork); say what you will, but it is a traditional Filipino food and we definitely enjoyed it :]
The resort/villas that we stayed in the first night. Super duper nice.

The next day, we woke up (somewhat early), had Jollibee for breakfast, and drove back up north past Manila into Batangas. On the way, we stopped at the shrine for the Philippine national hero, Jose Rizal.  We also went up along a mountain and took pictures at a nearby Boy Scouts of the Philippines camp; it was pretty cool and definitely made me think of my brothers. We went onto a family friend's beach/mountainside house which itself was gorgeous and had a spectacular view of the sunrise/sunset across the ocean and mountains.  That night we had some fun out on the patio; it gave my cousins and I a chance to catch up and re-bond after the last ten years. Words can't express how good it felt to be with them again; it felt like we were the same people we were 10 years ago, just with a few more experiences under our belts :]. We talked, played cards, drank (fun juice for them, plain pineapple juice for me :]) and just enjoyed one another's company. It also made me realize how well my friends got along with my cousins, making the night that much more memorable.
 House/muesum of Jose Rizal
 Boy Scouts of the Philippines

 Me with my beautiful cousins Lorna and Ate Loren.
 Fun group picture :]
 Exchange group.
 Just a few of my cousins :]

The next morning, we went to a beachside resort near the house and pretty much spent the day there, alternating between swimming in the ocean, the swimming pool, and resting in the shade. Quite a relaxing day. Later that afternoon, we headed into Manila to a Holiday Inn and rested our burnt/tanned selves for the night. *Now I might not have mentioned it yet, but we did a lot of driving while we were there. Like a lot. Well I guess we ourselves didn't drive, but still, sitting in the car for hours at a time got exhausting too. Although it was kinda nice because it gave us a chance to catch up on much needed sleep lol *

 Lunch with the cousins :]
 Beautiful blue water, hot and humid weather.
 Yet another group picture.
 Swimming pool area where we spent the majority of the day.

 Swimming with the guys... so cute :]
 Oh my goodness, my absolutely adorable nephews. So so sooo cute.
 Playing in the sand with Prime.
 And with Ton-Ton :]
 Sunset on the mountain- so gorgeous.
 And of course, a picture with my Roaming Redbirds shirt :]

On Saturday, our last day there, our schedule was packed. After grabbing breakfast, we toured around the universities in the Manila area; lucky for us, most of them were within a 10 minute drive of one another. After our tours, we headed to SM Mall of Asia, the biggest mall in the Philippines where we spent the remainder of our time shopping after lunch at Pizza Hut. We shopped for a few hours- the girls with Lorna and the guys with my Ate Loren, and we met up for a last dinner before heading to the airport. This was also our first of several goodbyes. Luckily, we arrived at the airport at around the same time so we were able to take pictures and say goodbye again. We checked in for our flight and talked to my Tita and Ate Loren for a few more minutes before finally saying goodbye. Luckily, our flight was running on time, giving us just enough time to explore the terminal and relax for a bit before heading back to good 'ole Taipei.
 University of Santo Tomas- the oldest university in the Philippines and my tito's alma mater
 Legend has it that walking under this arch before you graduate is bad luck and you won't graduate if you do. So on graduation day, graduates make a point to take pictures while walking/running under it :]

 More of UST's campus
 Far Eastern University's campus- my tita's alma mater
 Each platform represents a different department of the school.
 Far Eastern University
 Centro Escolar University- where my parents met and went to school and where my cousin graduated from as well
 Along this street are 4 universities; whenever there was a rally, the universities would be forced to cancel classes for the day.
 University of the Philippines- the most prestigious university in the Philippines
 Statue on UP's campus
 My Tita Glo :]
 I love seeing the temple, especially in other countries. This is the Manila Philippines Temple and is situated high above the city.  We just happened to drive past it and I did a double take after noticing the Angel Moroni :]
 My cousins, Lorna and Ate Loren
 Daryl
 Tito John
 Ate Lo

 Last dinner with (almost) all of the cousins :]

Words simply cannot express my gratitude to my family for all of their generosity and hospitality throughout our stay.  My friends and I had such a great time exploring the different aspects of Filipino culture. Our reunion was a much needed one- 10 years is way to long to go without seeing family. If they're reading this, I would like to extend my sincere gratitude to my group of friends for opening their minds and hearts to my family and heritage and to my family for embracing us with love and kindness. This truly was a trip that I will never forget.

1 comment:

  1. Aaaaahhhh! I FINALLY found your blog address. You look like you're having so much fun! How awesome! (let's see how many times I can use an exclamation point...) Honestly though, what a neat experience. Now that I have your blog address I will be checking up on you. Email me your mailing address too sometime =)

    ReplyDelete